My experience includes website & social media development, branding & communication strategies, project management and creating an outstanding online user experience. I have successfully created and managed a university communication office. I have extensive writing, teaching and public speaking experience. In addition to both large public and small private universities, I’ve worked in business, government and with not-for-profit organizations. I offer innovative branding and communication strategies with the project management experience and leadership skills to get the job done. Consulting and project based work welcome.
PROJECT LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Created the University of Richmond’s Web Development Office including organizational structure; designing a client-centered methodology; project management, scheduling and budgetary requirements; and hiring and managing a staff of 6 professionals.
- Managed a 1-year prototype project to design, code and complete initial implementation of a content management system; ensuring message consistency and decreasing site administrative support requirements by 25%.
- Reduced administrative costs at the University of Richmond by creating a content management system that allowed for cross-training between schools and departments.
- Designed, developed and implemented a multimedia lab that provided Virginia Commonwealth University faculty with state-of-the-art instructional technologies.
- Established, staffed and managed an information center that provided Virginia Commonwealth University administrative users with technology resources and training.
- Partnering with the Psychology department, created a usability lab at the University of Richmond that allowed the Web Development office to simulate a “real world” environment, evaluate prototypes and gather user feedback.
- Redesigned the Northstar Academy website to be more user and contentfriendly by using a process of needs assessment, user testing and a flexible methodology; resulting in a 20% increase in applications for the school.
- Directed the design of a university student-centered portal that increased the participation of incoming first-year students with each other, as well as with upperclassmen and the University community.
- Spearheaded an integrated media approach by Web Development, Communications and Admissions offices which unified branding message of print, web and CD materials delivered to prospective students to the University of Richmond.
- Enhanced the accessibility of the University of Richmond website to students and alumni by pioneering innovative technology that allowed for interactive campus tours, webcams and webcasts of events, lectures and classes.
- Mentored and guided a 3month Student Portal development project that dramatically increased prospective and current student interaction as well as satisfaction with a “by students, for students” website.
- Designed and taught college-level courses (both in-class and online) on subjects that included web design, communications management and strategic project planning.
- Developed and delivered workshops (eg. “How we created a usability lab at UR”) on the effective, cost-efficient uses of technology in higher education at EduCause national conventions.
- IT4Causes, Project Manager & Volunteer Coordinator, 2015-Present.
- Centresa.Org, Founder & Executive Director, 2012-Present.
- GIC Web Solutions, Senior Project Manager & Creative Director, 2005-Present.
- University of Richmond, Director of Web Development, 1997-2005.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Applications Developer/Analyst, 1990-1997.
- Boaz & Ruth - Business Support member
- Business Networking International (BNI) - Vice President & Secretary / Treasurer
- Centura College – Program Advisory Board member
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation – Volunteer leadership
- EduCause – Presentations and workshops at national conventions
- First Church – President of Board of Stewards
- SCORE - Presentations to small business workshops
Virginia Commonwealth University
- Post Baccalaureate degree in Information Systems (Business School)
- Bachelor of Arts, English (Concentration in Writing)
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Council for Advancement and Support (CASE)